Hello crafty friends! It’s almost time to celebrate the 4th of July! To me, that means stars along with red, white, and blue. Try 3D Foam Stars and bright red foil from Metallic Transfer Foil Sheets Celebrate Colors together to make this Happy 4th Patriotic Stars Tag! I like to set a tag like this on a mantle or shelf as decor.
- Start with a #10 white tag and a slightly larger piece of star patterned paper. Apply a piece of Adhesive Sheets 6 x 12-inch to the tag front. Simply lift the liner and place the tag facing down onto the exposed adhesive. Cover with the liner and rub well to transfer the adhesive to the tag front. Place the tag adhesive side down to the back side of the star patterned paper.
- Flip the tag on its back and trim off excess paper around the edges. Punch a hole at the top.
To create your pennant, cut a piece of blue patterned paper the same width as the tag and 7.5 inches long. Starting about 2 inches from the top, make a diagonal cut to the center of the opposite end.
Use the remainder of the Adhesive Sheets 6 x 12-inch and apply the adhesive to the back of the pennant. Adhere to the tag so the point is about .5 inches from the bottom.
- With a piece of 1.75 x 4.125-inch red patterned paper, roll the E-Z Runner® Petite Permanent Dots Refillable Dispenser along each long edge of the paper.
- Place a piece of red foil from the Metallic Transfer Foil Sheets Celebrate Colors over adhesive (COLOR side UP) and rub well to transfer the foil. Peel away the foil sheet. Reapply the foil in missed areas. Trim edges if needed so that the foil pattern is at the very edge.
Cut a piece of stripe patterned paper, making sure the pattern runs lengthwise. Each long edge has a border of navy and white stripes (about 1.125 wide x 4.125 inches). Using the E-Z Runner® Petite Permanent Dots Refillable Dispenser, secure to the center of foiled red paper.
- Cut a strip of the 5 stars patterned paper, and place a small foam star from the 3D Foam Stars sheet over each star of the strip.
- Peel the top liner from a star, cover with red foil from the Metallic Transfer Foil Sheets Celebrate Colors (COLOR side UP), and rub the foil well. Peel the foil off. Repeat the foiling steps until all the stars are foiled.
- Add a piece of Crafty Foam Tape 108ft to the back of the star strip. Peel the liner off and attach the star border over the striped piece.
- Then on the back of the layered border, a piece of Crafty Foam Tape 108ft along each of the long edges. Peel the liners off and adhere to the top of the tag
Cut a piece of 0.5 x 4.125-inch red paper. Use the same process as the Star Border steps 1 & 2 to create the bottom border with the E-Z Runner® Petite Permanent Dots Refillable Dispenser.
This time cut a narrow strip of 0.25 x 4.125-inch navy and white stripe paper. Secure the strip with the E-Z Runner® Petite Permanent Dots Refillable Dispenser and secure it along the unfoiled edge of the red paper.
Lastly, adhere the strip to the bottom of the tag with the E-Z Runner® Petite Permanent Dots Refillable Dispenser. Peel off the pennant tip, if needed, to place the border.
The Focal Star Design
- From the 3D Foam Stars sheet, carefully pull up the points of the two largest stars together.
- Place them on the tag about 0.5 inches below the foiled star border. Use a ruler to align it in the center.
Next, find a medium foam star (they are usually nested with another star in a corner of the 3D Foam Stars sheet). Place it in the center of the large star on the tag.
Foil the large star first. Peel back the liners from one of the points to expose the adhesive. Place the red foil from the Metallic Transfer Foil Sheets Celebrate Colors (COLOR side UP) and rub well with your fingertips. Peel off the foil to reveal the color. Reapply foil in missed areas. Repeat the foiling steps with the center star.
Stamp and Add Word Sentiment
- Stamp the words with Archival Night ink and clear heat emboss. Use a coordinating die, cut the words into strips. Apply adhesive using the E-Z Runner® Petite Permanent Dots Refillable Dispenser to the strips and mat them with navy patterned paper. Repeat for all the words.
- Attach each word strip with the Crafty Foam Tape 108ft. This tape has a lower height range than our regular Crafty Foam Tape so there’s less bulk. It’s perfect for dimensional cards going through the mail!
- If needed, use a ruler to align and center the “Happy 4th of July” strip at the bottom edge of the tag and above the large star.
- For the bottom of the tag and at the tip of the pennant, use the ruler to position the “Celebrate” and Independence Day” strips. Peel the liners off and fasten them in place.
Gather together red, white, and navy ribbons, along with white string. Thread through the hole and tie a knot at top of the tag.
I hope you enjoyed my process on this Happy 4th Patriotic Stars Tag. Have a great 4th of July!
Thanks for Visiting!
Creative Time: 30 Minutes
Skill Level: Intermediate
Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L®
- 3D Foam Stars
- Metallic Transfer Foil Sheets Celebrate Colors
- E-Z Runner® Petite Permanent Dots Refillable Dispenser
- Adhesive Sheets 6×12 inch
- Crafty Foam Tape 108ft
Other: Photoplay (Stars and Stripes Collection Pack), Ranger (Archival Ink Night, Clear Embossing Powder, #10 White Tag), Taylored Expressions (Mini Strips Die, Patriotic Mini Strips), Ribbons (Red, Blue, White), White String